BREAKING: Trump Reportedly Rips Supreme Court Tariff Ruling as a 'Disgrace' – He Has Plan B
President Donald J. Trump sharply criticized the Supreme Court on Friday morning after the justices struck down his global tariff policy in a 6–3 decision — a ruling that could reshape executive trade authority but may not be the final word.
The case centered on tariffs imposed over the past year under the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA), which President Trump invoked as part of his broader second-term push to rebalance trade relationships and protect American industry.
In the majority opinion, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote that the statute “does not authorize the President to impose tariffs.” Roberts was joined by Associate Justices Amy Coney Barrett and Neil Gorsuch, along with the Court’s three liberal justices.
President Trump’s claim that a decades-old law gives him the power to unilaterally impose tariffs “falls short” of the high legal bar needed to justify the sweeping tariffs, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in a 6-3 majority opinion. https://t.co/QGkf5iXBit pic.twitter.com/NFTZ1hpWdq
— ABC News (@ABC) February 20, 2026
Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas, and Brett Kavanaugh dissented.
According to a report relayed by CNN’s Kaitlan Collins, President Trump addressed the decision during a White House breakfast with governors shortly after it was handed down.
“News: President Trump commented on the Supreme Court ruling striking down his tariffs while inside the White House breakfast with governors this morning, calling it a ‘disgrace,’ I’m told,” she posted on X.
Collins added, “He told those gathered that he has a backup plan.”
While the president did not immediately issue a formal written statement, his reaction signals that the administration is already evaluating alternative legal authorities to continue advancing its America First trade agenda.
In a notable dissent, Justice Brett Kavanaugh suggested the Court’s decision may not significantly limit the executive branch’s ability to pursue tariffs through other statutory mechanisms.
Citing “numerous avenues to impose tariffs,” the associate justice wrote, “Although I firmly disagree with the Court’s holding today, the decision might not substantially constrain a President’s ability to order tariffs going forward.”
News: President Trump commented on the Supreme Court ruling striking down his tariffs while inside the White House breakfast with governors this morning, calling it a "disgrace," I'm told. He told those gathered that he has a backup plan.
— Kaitlan Collins (@kaitlancollins) February 20, 2026
Kavanaugh’s language has fueled speculation that the administration could pivot to other trade laws — potentially those more explicitly granting tariff authority — to achieve similar policy outcomes.
Kavanaugh points out that even if today's mess of a ruling creates all sorts of chaos for previously imposed tariffs, Trump has many other options for imposing tariffs going forward. pic.twitter.com/Rdw2ab4o1G
— Mollie (@MZHemingway) February 20, 2026
For President Trump, tariffs have been a central tool in confronting foreign competitors, particularly nations accused of unfair trade practices, currency manipulation, and intellectual property theft. Supporters argue the strategy strengthens domestic manufacturing and national sovereignty, while critics contend it risks higher consumer prices and trade retaliation.
The Court’s ruling underscores an ongoing constitutional debate over the scope of executive authority during times of economic or national emergency. But with a declared “backup plan” in motion and at least one justice signaling viable alternatives, the policy fight appears far from over.