Judge Makes Bizarre Ruling In Case of ‘Maryland Man’ Abrego Garcia

A federal judge on Friday dismissed the Trump administration’s criminal case against Kilmar Abrego Garcia, the migrant frequently described by Democrats as “Maryland Man,” ruling that the prosecution amounted to vindictive enforcement by the federal government.

U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw Jr. of the Middle District of Tennessee, an Obama appointee, said prosecutors pursued the criminal case only after the administration suffered legal setbacks in its effort to deport Abrego Garcia.

Instead of simply facilitating his return from El Salvador, where officials acknowledged he had been wrongly deported, the government moved forward with a criminal indictment tied to an older investigation.

Crenshaw also said acting Attorney General Todd Blanche had “tainted” the investigation into Abrego Garcia, according to the ruling.

“The objective evidence here shows that, absent Abrego’s successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador, the government would not have brought this prosecution,” the judge wrote, according to reports.

Abrego Garcia remains in a legal fight over his potential deportation, while the government said it plans to appeal the ruling.

“Another activist judge has placed politics above public safety. The judge’s order is wrong and dangerous,” the Justice Dept. said in a statement.

The case stems from a 2022 traffic stop in Tennessee, when Abrego Garcia was pulled over while transporting several migrants in a vehicle. Police suspected possible human smuggling activity at the time, but no criminal charges were filed.

Federal authorities later revived the matter in 2024, while Abrego Garcia was successfully challenging the Trump administration’s deportation actions in court.

Abrego Garcia was among the migrants flown from the United States to El Salvador on March 15, 2025, during a series of controversial deportation flights carried out under President Donald Trump’s second administration.

Many deportees were Venezuelan nationals accused of gang affiliations and removed under the Alien Enemies Act. Some Salvadoran nationals were also returned to their home country.

Abrego Garcia’s case drew national attention because an immigration judge had previously ruled that he should not be sent back to El Salvador due to fears of gang retaliation.

At the same time, earlier immigration rulings found that he was a gang member who should be deported.

Democrats turned the case into a political rallying point, portraying Abrego Garcia as a “Maryland man” whose rights had been violated by the administration.

Abrego Garcia sued, and the dispute eventually reached the Supreme Court of the United States, which ordered the government to “facilitate” his return to the United States.

The administration ultimately brought him back, but only after obtaining the criminal indictment that the federal judge has now dismissed.

That indictment was based on the 2022 Tennessee traffic stop, during which authorities said Abrego Garcia was transporting several suspected illegal migrants.

After prosecutors secured the indictment, Abrego Garcia was returned from El Salvador to the United States.

He was later granted pretrial release, prompting the Trump administration to seek his detention and deportation once again.

However, U.S. District Judge Paula Xinis, who had originally ordered the government to facilitate his return, blocked that effort. She ruled there was no valid deportation order in place at the time.

Federal officials later obtained a new deportation order, but Xinis ruled that Abrego Garcia could remain free while she continued reviewing the case.

That dispute remains ongoing.

According to court filings, Abrego Garcia has indicated he would accept deportation to Costa Rica, and Costa Rican officials have reportedly signaled a willingness to receive him.

The Trump administration opposed that option and instead explored alternative deportation destinations in Africa, a move Judge Xinis questioned during court proceedings.

On Friday, the Department of Homeland Security made clear that it still intends to remove Abrego Garcia from the United States.

“Kilmar Abrego Garcia’s final order of removal stands, and activist judges cannot change that fact,” DHS said, according to the Washington Times. “This Salvadorian is not going to remain in our country.”

The ruling represents another high-profile collision between President Trump’s immigration enforcement agenda and the federal judiciary.

For conservatives, the case underscores a familiar concern: courts continue to intervene in deportation disputes involving individuals the government says have no legal right to remain in the country.

The administration argues that public safety and immigration law demand removal. Critics of the prosecution argue the government retaliated against Abrego Garcia after losing key parts of the deportation fight.

Now, with the criminal case dismissed and the deportation battle still unresolved, the administration is preparing for another legal round.

The central question remains whether federal immigration enforcement will be allowed to proceed, or whether judges will continue placing new barriers in the path of President Trump’s effort to restore order to the immigration system.

Subscribe to Lib Fails

Don’t miss out on the latest issues. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only issues.
jamie@example.com
Subscribe