Senate Parliamentarian Puts Trump Ballroom Funding In Jeopardy As GOP Revises Plan

A Republican-backed proposal to allocate $1 billion in Secret Service funding connected to President Donald Trump’s planned White House ballroom is facing a procedural hurdle after the Senate parliamentarian raised concerns about whether the provision can move forward under budget reconciliation rules.

Senate Parliamentarian Elizabeth MacDonough signaled Saturday that the measure, which is part of a broader Republican budget package, may not qualify for passage by a simple majority unless lawmakers revise the language.

The bill includes funding for ICE and Border Patrol, along with the $1 billion tied to security and infrastructure needs surrounding the proposed ballroom project. However, Democrats argued that the provision stretches beyond the jurisdiction of the Senate committees authorized under the budget resolution.

“A project as complex and large in scale as Trump’s proposed ballroom necessarily involves the coordination of many government agencies which span the jurisdiction of many Senate committees,” Senate Democrats said after their meeting with the parliamentarian.

“As drafted, the provision inappropriately funds activities outside the jurisdiction of the Judiciary Committee,” they added.

MacDonough’s determination means the measure could be subject to the Senate’s 60-vote threshold rather than passing with a simple Republican majority through reconciliation.

Budget reconciliation allows certain tax and spending bills to bypass the filibuster, but the process is limited by strict procedural rules meant to prevent unrelated policy items from being tucked into legislation that avoids the normal 60-vote requirement.

The ruling is a setback for Republicans, though GOP leadership appears to be treating it as a routine procedural challenge rather than a fatal blow to the proposal.

According to a Republican leadership aide cited by NBC News, Senate Republicans had already begun rewriting the provision before Saturday’s decision, based on guidance from Senate officials.

A spokesperson for Judiciary Committee Republicans also told NBC News that “conversations and revisions are continuing, as they have been for days.”

The central question now is whether Republicans can craft the ballroom-related funding in a way that satisfies the parliamentarian’s jurisdictional concerns.

The budget resolution governing the legislation allows provisions only from the Senate Judiciary Committee and the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee. If the ballroom project is ruled to fall under another committee’s authority, Republicans may be forced to strip it from the bill unless they can secure 60 votes.

That outcome appears unlikely in a deeply divided Senate.

Ryan Wrasse, spokesman for Senate Majority Leader John Thune of South Dakota, downplayed the situation Saturday and suggested the process remains far from over.

“Redraft. Refine. Resubmit. None of this is abnormal during a Byrd process,” Wrasse wrote in a post on X.

The “Byrd process” refers to the Senate parliamentarian’s review of reconciliation provisions to determine whether they comply with the Byrd Rule.

The Byrd Rule is intended to keep reconciliation bills focused on federal spending, revenue, and debt, while blocking unrelated policy measures from being passed through the Senate with a simple majority.

The ballroom proposal has also drawn questions from some Republicans who are wary of using taxpayer funds for the project, especially after President Trump previously said the ballroom would require “no government funds.”

According to a memo obtained by NBC News, GOP senators were briefed earlier this week on how the proposed funding would be used. The breakdown reportedly included $220 million for security improvements around the White House complex, $180 million for a visitor screening facility, $175 million for training initiatives, and $175 million for enhanced protection for Secret Service protectees.

Some Republicans have not yet committed to supporting the plan.

“I still got some more questions, and they’re going to send us more information,” Sen. Roger Marshall, R-Kan., said after the meeting. “I’m undecided.”

Sens. Rand Paul of Kentucky and Susan Collins of Maine also reportedly said the project should be funded privately, in line with Trump’s earlier comments.

For now, Thune and Senate Republicans must decide whether to keep revising the measure, seek broader support, or remove the provision if the parliamentarian’s concerns cannot be resolved.

Subscribe to Lib Fails

Don’t miss out on the latest issues. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only issues.
jamie@example.com
Subscribe