Breaking: Two Shooters Dead After Attack at San Diego Islamic Center, Multiple Casualties Reported

A major law enforcement response unfolded Monday after police received reports of an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego in the Clairemont Mesa neighborhood of San Diego, California.

Authorities said officers were dispatched around midday following reports of gunfire near the mosque, triggering a large emergency response and an ongoing investigation into what officials described as a serious public safety incident.

According to CNN, two shooters are dead, and three other adults were killed in the attack.

WVTM reported that San Diego police spokesman Officer Anthony Carrasco said multiple shots had been reported at the Islamic facility. At the early stage of the response, officials had not confirmed whether the shooter or shooters were located inside or outside the building.

The Islamic Center of San Diego is widely regarded as the largest mosque in San Diego County. The campus also includes the Al Rashid School, which provides instruction in Arabic language, Islamic studies, and Quran education.

Independent journalist Nick Sortor initially reported that the school located on the property had been evacuated and that all children were accounted for. Aerial footage showed more than a dozen children holding hands as they were escorted out of the center’s parking lot.

Television aerial footage showed a heavy police presence in the area, with numerous law enforcement vehicles positioned around the mosque and nearby streets as officers worked to secure the scene.

San Diego Mayor Todd Gloria said he had been briefed on the situation and urged residents to stay away from the area while first responders carried out their work.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom was also briefed, according to statements from his office. Officials thanked emergency personnel and advised the public to follow instructions from law enforcement.

Police later announced that “the threat at the Islamic center has been neutralized,” though investigators remained on scene for several hours as they gathered evidence and worked to confirm the full scope of the incident.

Authorities also established a reunification center on Hathaway Street for family members and others seeking information about loved ones affected by the shooting.

Residents in the surrounding community described hearing sirens and seeing helicopters overhead as the situation developed. Social media posts from people living near the mosque reflected widespread concern and confusion during the emergency response.

Officials continued urging the public to avoid speculation while investigators worked to determine the facts behind the attack.

The incident remained a developing investigation into Monday evening, with authorities expected to release additional details as they become available.

Subscribe to Lib Fails

Don’t miss out on the latest issues. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only issues.
jamie@example.com
Subscribe