Former Norwegian Prime Minister Charged In Expanding Epstein Corruption Probe

Norway’s political establishment was rocked this week after former Prime Minister Thorbjørn Jagland was formally charged with aggravated corruption as part of an ongoing investigation tied to deceased sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

According to Norwegian authorities, the 75-year-old former leader is accused of receiving improper benefits — including gifts, travel, and financial advantages — while serving in prominent international roles, including as chair of the Norwegian Nobel Committee and later as secretary-general of the Council of Europe.

Elden Law Firm confirmed to CNN that Jagland is “charged with aggravated corruption,” emphasizing that he “denies all charges.”

The charges reportedly stem from newly declassified documents released by the U.S. Department of Justice under the Epstein Files Transparency Act. Those materials detail interactions between Epstein and a number of high-profile global figures.

Norway’s economic crimes authority, Økokrim, has already conducted searches of multiple properties connected to Jagland. Officials say he will soon be questioned as the investigation advances. Notably, the Council of Europe waived Jagland’s diplomatic immunity to allow authorities to proceed — a rare and significant move.

Jagland has publicly denied ever visiting Epstein’s private island and has pledged full cooperation with investigators. Still, the filing of aggravated corruption charges marks a sharp escalation in a probe that has now widened to include other Norwegian officials named in the documents.

CNN reported that the charges arrive “as Norway’s royal family battles scandals on multiple fronts, with charities this week moving to cut or review ties to the crown princess due to her past contact with Epstein, who died in 2019.”

Investigators have stated they are examining “whether gifts, travel, and loans were received in connection with his position.”

A video circulating online further fueled public scrutiny:

Last week, Jagland’s attorney addressed the property searches conducted at the former prime minister’s “home and leisure properties,” calling them “a normal part of an investigation of this type.”

“As an automatic consequence of the search, Jagland now has formal status as a suspect,” said his lawyer, Anders Brosveet.

“Jagland wants to contribute to the case being thoroughly investigated, and the next step is that he will appear for questioning at Økokrim.”

Meanwhile, newly released Epstein documents also revealed extensive communication between Norway’s Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Epstein — contact she now says she regrets, years after Epstein pleaded guilty to soliciting sex from a minor.

Norway’s royal household issued a statement last week asserting that Mette-Marit “strongly disavows Epstein’s abuse and criminal acts” and expressed regret for “not having understood early enough what kind of person he was.”

The fallout has sparked renewed debate inside Norway regarding the monarchy’s future. Political analysts note that questions about Mette-Marit’s suitability to one day become queen are surfacing amid growing concern about the health of King Harald V. At 88 years old, he remains Europe’s oldest reigning monarch and has faced declining health in recent years, with Crown Prince Haakon occasionally stepping in as regent.

The broader scandal traces back to decisive action by the Trump administration. Under the leadership of current President Donald J. Trump, Attorney General Pam Bondi announced Saturday that the Department of Justice has released all documents covered by the Epstein Files Transparency Act, including a list of more than 300 prominent individuals referenced in the materials.

In a letter to lawmakers, Bondi confirmed that the department complied fully with statutory requirements, releasing “all records, documents, communications and investigative materials” in its possession tied to nine legally defined categories. She further stated that no materials were withheld due to embarrassment, reputational concerns, or political sensitivity.

The letter — addressed to Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa; ranking member Dick Durbin, D-Ill.; House Judiciary Committee Chairman Jim Jordan, R-Ohio; and ranking member Jamie Raskin, D-Md. — was obtained by Fox News Digital.

“In accordance with the requirements of the Act, and as described in various Department submissions to the courts of the Southern District of New York assigned to the Epstein and Maxwell prosecutions and related orders, the Department released all ‘records, documents, communications and investigative materials in the possession of the Department’ that ‘relate to’ any of nine different categories,” the letter stated, per Fox.

The sweeping transparency effort has begun reverberating far beyond American borders, triggering legal, political, and reputational consequences for global elites once thought insulated from scrutiny. As investigations continue in Europe, many observers see the unfolding developments as further evidence that sunlight — long resisted by powerful institutions — is finally reaching even the highest offices.

Subscribe to Lib Fails

Don’t miss out on the latest issues. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only issues.
jamie@example.com
Subscribe