Fox Host Reveals Medical Emergency Behind Sudden Absence
“Fox & Friends” co-host Lawrence Jones has revealed that another detached retina required surgery and forced him to step away from the program temporarily.
Jones addressed his absence Thursday after regular viewers noticed he had been missing from the show.
“Hey family, you may have noticed my recent absence,” Jones wrote on X.
“I’ve been open about my eye surgery due to a retinal tear. However, I later discovered that this was caused by a childhood sports injury,” he continued.
“Regrettably, I’ve sustained another retina detachment, which is common after the initial tear.”
Jones said he underwent the second operation Wednesday and expressed confidence in the medical professionals overseeing his treatment.
“Yesterday, I underwent surgery again with the best care team,” he wrote.
Jones Thanks Fox and Viewers
The Fox News personality thanked his colleagues, network executives and audience for supporting him through the latest setback.
“I want to express my deepest gratitude to my colleagues, Fox management, and our audience for their unwavering support during this challenging time,” Jones said.
“I’m optimistic that I’ll be back soon!”
He did not provide an exact date for his return or disclose additional details about the operation.
His statement made clear, however, that the absence is health-related and temporary. There is no indication that a network dispute or programming change is behind his disappearance from the “Fox & Friends” couch.
First Surgery Took Place in January
Jones underwent his first operation in January after doctors diagnosed a detached retina in his right eye.
He had begun experiencing more serious vision problems toward the end of 2025 but initially did not believe the symptoms required urgent medical attention.
Jones finally visited an eye specialist in December after being encouraged to have the problem examined.
Doctors determined within hours that he had a detached retina and needed surgery as soon as possible.
“And I’m glad I did because it ended up being something more serious,” Jones told People in February.
A detached retina can threaten permanent vision loss without prompt treatment. Jones has said that his vision began improving after doctors reattached it, although swelling extended his recovery.
Childhood Injury Linked to Condition
Jones initially believed his longtime eye problems could have been genetic.
He later learned that the retinal damage was connected to an old sports injury from childhood, according to his latest statement.
Following the first operation, Jones returned to “Fox & Friends” while still visibly recovering.
He said he wanted viewers to see the process rather than remain away until every sign of the surgery had disappeared.
That openness prompted some members of the audience to seek examinations for their own eye problems, an outcome Jones viewed as one positive consequence of sharing his experience publicly.
The latest detachment has now required another interruption while he begins a second recovery.
Youngest Black Cable News Co-Host
Jones joined Fox News Media in 2018 and became a permanent weekday co-host of “Fox & Friends” in September 2023.
At 30, he became the youngest Black co-host in cable news history.
Before joining the weekday morning program, Jones worked as an enterprise reporter for the “Fox & Friends” franchise and traveled across the country interviewing Americans about issues affecting their communities.
He also hosted the Saturday program “Lawrence Jones Cross Country” and regularly appeared as a substitute host across Fox News’ prime-time schedule.
His approachable reporting style and relationship with the audience have made him one of the network’s most recognizable personalities.
That prominence explains why his sudden absence generated immediate concern from viewers.
For now, Jones is recovering under the care of his medical team and has not committed to a return date.
His message to the audience was nevertheless hopeful and direct.
“I’m optimistic that I’ll be back soon!”