Public Crime Forum Featuring Pirro Canceled Again Amid Trump Rift

A Washington, D.C., public forum featuring U.S. Attorney Jeanine Pirro was abruptly canceled Monday for the second time in two months as questions continue surrounding her public disagreement with President Donald Trump.

The event, titled “Violent Crime in DC: What’s Worked and What’s Next,” was scheduled to feature Pirro and interim Metropolitan Police Chief Jeffery Carroll in a discussion with residents about crime and public safety.

The D.C. Criminal Justice Coordinating Council canceled the forum without providing a specific reason.

The council said it had no additional information to share and was evaluating the best approach for future public-engagement opportunities.

There is currently no confirmed evidence that the cancellation was connected to Trump’s criticism of Pirro. Its timing, however, comes amid continued controversy over her office’s decision to dismiss charges arising from alleged damage to the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool.

Event Canceled for Second Time

Organizers originally scheduled the crime forum for June but canceled it without a public explanation.

The event was subsequently rescheduled, only to be called off again Monday night.

Its cancellation deprives residents of an opportunity to question two of the capital’s most prominent law-enforcement officials about violent crime, prosecution policies and public safety.

The forum was expected to examine which anti-crime strategies had succeeded and what additional measures officials planned to pursue.

No replacement date has been announced.

Trump Blasts Pirro Over Dismissed Charges

The controversy surrounding Pirro began after her office moved to dismiss charges against four people accused of damaging the recently renovated Reflecting Pool.

Former Olympic canoeist David Hearn was the most prominent defendant.

Pirro’s office initially obtained a felony indictment against Hearn after alleging that he had “forcefully and violently” torn material from the pool’s newly installed blue surface.

Prosecutors later moved to dismiss the case after receiving additional information indicating that the deterioration may have resulted from installation failures rather than intentional vandalism.

Trump strongly rejected that conclusion.

He said Pirro “choked” and “folded like an umbrella” by abandoning the prosecution.

“I was disappointed with Jeanine Pirro, really disappointed,” Trump said. “She folded like an umbrella.”

The president did not say he intended to remove Pirro. Sources subsequently told CBS News that her position was safe at that time, although Trump remained angry about the decision.

New Evidence Changed Prosecutors’ Position

Pirro’s office said its original case relied on incomplete information from the Interior Department and U.S. Park Police.

In its dismissal filing, prosecutors acknowledged that the “American flag blue” sealant applied during the renovation began peeling “almost immediately.”

The government said the Interior Department “provided less than fulsome information at the outset of this case.”

Prosecutors also described the initial police reports as “barebones.”

According to the filing, the Interior Department only provided additional documentation after Hearn had already been indicted. Those records indicated that the damage resulted from flawed installation by a contractor and the rushed effort to complete the project before America’s 250th anniversary celebrations.

“The damage was the result of a botched installation and not vandalism, as initially represented by [the Department of the Interior],” Pirro’s office wrote.

That new information created an obvious problem for continuing a criminal case requiring proof that Hearn intentionally damaged federal property.

Trump Points to Alleged Eyewitness

Trump has continued insisting that at least some of the damage resulted from deliberate vandalism.

He posted court documents on Truth Social citing what he described as a “highly credible witness” who allegedly saw Hearn “violently” tearing at the pool’s lining.

The president called on Pirro to “revisit her hastily made decision” and urged the Justice Department to consider pursuing charges again.

Trump’s position is that defective installation and intentional damage are not necessarily mutually exclusive. A vulnerable surface could have been poorly installed while still being deliberately torn by someone afterward.

The Justice Department is reportedly reviewing the matter under newly confirmed Attorney General Todd Blanche.

Blanche has publicly defended Pirro while acknowledging Trump’s frustration. He said it would be unfair to judge her entire record based on one disputed prosecution, according to Reuters.

Judge Dismisses Hearn Case

The judge overseeing Hearn’s prosecution agreed last week to dismiss the charge.

A further hearing is expected next month to determine whether the dismissal should be entered “with prejudice.”

A dismissal with prejudice would prevent federal prosecutors from charging Hearn again based on the same alleged conduct. A dismissal without prejudice could leave the government free to reopen the case if it obtains sufficient new evidence.

Hearn pleaded not guilty before prosecutors sought dismissal.

His attorneys argue that the indictment should never have been brought and that leaving open the possibility of renewed prosecution would be unjust.

The government, meanwhile, originally requested dismissal without prejudice, preserving its ability to act if the factual record changes.

Pirro Remains Under Pressure

Pirro has generally pursued an aggressive law-and-order agenda as Washington’s top federal prosecutor.

The Reflecting Pool case created an unusual rupture with Trump, who selected her for the position and has long considered her a trusted ally.

The president believes those responsible for damaging national monuments should face severe consequences. Pirro’s professional obligation, however, requires her office to pursue charges only when prosecutors believe admissible evidence can establish guilt beyond a reasonable doubt.

The dispute places her between Trump’s insistence that vandalism occurred and her office’s acknowledgment that important evidence instead pointed toward a defective renovation.

The repeated cancellation of her public crime forum adds another unanswered question, although organizers have offered no evidence connecting their decision to the Reflecting Pool controversy.

For now, Pirro remains in office, the Hearn case remains dismissed, and the Justice Department continues evaluating whether any viable prosecution can be revived.

Subscribe to Lib Fails

Don’t miss out on the latest issues. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only issues.
jamie@example.com
Subscribe