Trump Names Gabbard’s Replacement After She Resigns As DNI

Director of National Intelligence Tulsi Gabbard is set to leave President Donald Trump’s administration at the end of June, marking a significant change in the nation’s intelligence leadership at a time of major global instability.

President Trump announced Friday that Gabbard will step down to focus on her family after her husband was diagnosed with a rare form of bone cancer.

“Tulsi has done an incredible job, and ‌we will miss her,” Trump wrote in a Truth Social post.

The president said Aaron Lukas, currently the principal deputy director of national intelligence, will serve as acting director after Gabbard officially leaves the role.

Gabbard confirmed the news in a resignation letter posted to X, stating that her final day will be June 30.

In her letter, she thanked President Trump for trusting her with one of the most sensitive positions in the federal government and explained that her decision was driven by her husband’s serious medical diagnosis.

“Dear Mr. President, I am deeply grateful for the trust you placed in me and for the opportunity to lead the Office of the Director of National Intelligence for the last year and a half,” she said in her post.

“Unfortunately, I must submit my resignation, effective June 30, 2026. My husband, Abraham, has recently been diagnosed with an extremely rare form of bone cancer. He faces major challenges in the coming weeks and months. At this time, I must step away from public service to be by his side and fully support him through this battle,” Gabbard said.

Gabbard then praised her husband and closed the letter by again expressing gratitude to the president and the country.

“Thank you for your understanding during this deeply personal and difficult time for our family. I will remain forever grateful to you and to the American people for the profound honor of serving our nation as DNI,” she said.

Her departure removes one of the most high-profile and unconventional figures from President Trump’s national security team.

According to Fox News Digital, Gabbard informed Trump of her decision during a Friday meeting in the Oval Office.

Still, reporting around her exit has raised questions about whether the resignation was driven entirely by family circumstances.

A source familiar with the matter told Fox News Digital that Gabbard was forced out by the White House, even as President Trump publicly framed the move as a personal decision connected to her husband’s health.

Trump’s public comments remained warm and supportive, with the president again praising Gabbard while acknowledging the seriousness of her family situation.

The announcement comes after occasional signs of tension between Trump and Gabbard on foreign policy, particularly regarding Iran.

Earlier this year, President Trump suggested Gabbard was not as forceful as he was in confronting Tehran’s nuclear ambitions.

In March, Trump said Gabbard was “softer” than him on stopping Iran’s nuclear program.

Despite those differences, the administration’s public message Friday emphasized gratitude, respect and support for Gabbard as she steps away from public service.

Lukas now takes over one of the most sensitive national security positions in Washington on an acting basis.

As principal deputy director, Lukas has already been working inside the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, giving the administration a ready temporary successor while President Trump determines who should permanently lead the intelligence community.

Gabbard’s exit is notable not only because of the role itself, but because of the political journey that brought her there.

A former Democratic congresswoman who became a prominent Trump ally, Gabbard’s appointment drew fierce criticism from the left but strong support from conservatives who saw her as independent-minded, skeptical of the permanent Washington establishment and willing to challenge failed foreign policy consensus.

Her time as DNI included intelligence coordination during a period of serious global threats involving Iran, China, Russia and the Middle East, The New York Times reported.

Now, her focus turns from national security to family.

No additional details about Abraham’s diagnosis or treatment were immediately released.

The White House has not yet said whether President Trump plans to quickly nominate a permanent replacement or allow Lukas to remain in the acting role for an extended period.

For now, the administration is presenting Gabbard’s departure as a deeply personal decision during a family medical crisis.

But with outside reporting suggesting possible internal tensions, her exit is likely to fuel further questions about the direction of President Trump’s intelligence team as his second administration moves deeper into a volatile election-year landscape.

Subscribe to Lib Fails

Don’t miss out on the latest issues. Sign up now to get access to the library of members-only issues.
jamie@example.com
Subscribe